If you are grappling with issues of intimacy, you have probably already performed a online search for “sex counselor near me.” If several options came up, it’s time to do some homework:
- Go to the nearby therapists’ websites and see if you like the “feel” of their practices
- Look at their reviews. Did the reviewers go to the counselor for the same reason you are planning to go?
- Look at the therapists’ education, credentials and how long they have been in business
- Drive by and see if the practice looks clean and well-kept
- Call and ask for a short free consultation to see which therapists you click with
Fit Matters More Than Location
You will likely be sharing intimate details of your sexual history and current sex life–if the therapist knows their stuff. So you want someone with whom you feel comfortable (everyone feels uncomfortable at first; it is awkward to talk about these issues, but a good therapist will put you at ease. We have heard it all!). Sex therapy is highly personal. You need to trust the therapist.
A counselor a few miles further from your home or work who you like is infinitely better than one you aren’t sure about who checks the “nearby sex therapist’ box.
You can sometimes hold sessions over Zoom or the phone, so close-by sex therapists don’t have to be your only options.
Switching Sex Therapists
If you find a great sex counselor with an office nearby, but discover after two-three sessions that they are just not working out for you, try someone else! Trying a few couples counselors can help you hone in on what kind of help you really need, so it is not a waste of time to try several professionals.
If a specific sex therapist was perfect for your co-worker or sister and brother-in-law, that doesn’t mean they will be perfect for you. You owe it to yourself to find a counselor who you believe can help. Your long-term relationship is well worth the effort to keep looking if you are not satisfied.
Rule of thumb, as with any healthcare provider. Go with your gut, always. Your sexual health is too important to leave to chance!